Maximizing Your Strengths

Not all strengths are created equal. If you're like me, there are times when a particular strength seems more like a liability than an asset. Is it possible that different situations require a different combination of strengths? And that some strengths are best used to balance or facilitate the use of others strengths? I believe so. The key, then, is to learn how to effectively use our strengths for maximum impact in a variety of situations.

As I reflect on this challenge in my own life, I recalled a particular situation in which I learned to do this.

Consider the following "fictional" dialogue:

"Hello, my name is Tim, nice to meet you. Hey, I have an idea that could change your life..want to hear it....great...you see if you just tried to look at things differently....Hey, where are you going? Come back..."

Idea, idea, activate, activate, do it NOW! Yikes...people run for cover, pushy, intense, and the point is lost. Yet by definition, Gallup states that a strength is "the ability to consistently produce a nearly perfect positive outcome in a specific task."

So the trick is to learn how to use each strength properly at just the right time.

Here's an alternate scenario: When entering a new group of people, my mind immediately begins brimming with suggestions for improvement, my energy rises, I want everyone in the room to love me and want to hear what I have to say.

BUT WAIT.

I take a minute and think. This could be disaster. Slow down. Spend time getting to know people. (Individualization) Ask polite, but personal questions. I offer them affirming words. (Communication) I modulate my Activator to take action in the area of practical service to the group. By diffusing the energy generated by Activator, I avoid the pitfall of intensity that can come across with an individual. I offer to clean up, wash dishes, help someone carry their things to the car, maybe offer a compliment or two. This generates goodwill. Keeping my Ideation in check for now, only using it to give me creative ideas for how to Woo people.

As I get to know people better, they begin to trust me more, I ease the Activator/Ideation out of the closet. I'm still aware of who I can be more frank with. There are still individuals who I must take more time with. All the while, I'm learning more about their individual style and the approach I will make to Win them over. Using my Individualization, I realize that if I scare them off, I might never get them back.

As it currently stands, I've generated enough goodwill among the group that I can be more direct and open with all 5 talent themes...and so can they.... I smile to think that last night I was sitting in a circle as all 7 people shared and discussed their top 5 with each other. Success!


This brief scenario illustrates the need to understand how to apply each of our strengths at the appropriate time and in the appropriate measure in order to have maximum impact.


1 comment:

Life's Wonderer said...

I've bought two Gallup publications that gave me ID codes to access the StrenghtsFinder but the website seems shut to me as I can't seem to access the website.

Please suggest help.

I'm from singapore